A Story of Transition, A Mother's Worry

As every mom knows, we worry about our kids. The concerns change as they grow up and become adults, but I think most of us continue to worry about them even as adults, to some degree. 

My young adult mountain bikes, is a trail runner, and rides a motorcycle. Typical things that carry with them a certain amount of worry for any mother. 

My child uses a GPS tracking system when they go out for a motorcycle ride. I automatically get sent a notification telling me they’re headed out and I can follow their movements on the map. I appreciate this connection as I am able to text a message before they leave and along the way. 

Now add to this they are transgender, wearing a medical alert bracelet, living in a state that is not friendly to their community and my level of worry goes up a few notches over the norm.

Please understand, I do not allow worry and fear to incapacitate me nor do I ever share it with my child. But it is here with me running just below the surface and it pops up when prompted.

I write this because I want people to try and understand the very real added layers of emotion and concerns that trans people and their loved ones live with. 

In a state that is in the process of targeting and taking away the rights of trans people or is putting religious beliefs over the needs of a trans individual, any situation, any emergency can become so much more than  an emergency. 

A medical emergency is not just an emergency, it carries with it the potential of being faced with rejection and phobia, hate. EMT’s, medical personnel are all human beings who have personal beliefs. MOST would never allow those feelings and beliefs to interfere with their work, but it can and does happen. Unfortunately thanks to politics, it becomes more prevalent and ok to do so. 

And this is a concern we live with daily.

I just received a notification, my child is headed out for a motorcycle ride through the beautiful backroads of their new state…and so it begins…

Peace & Love

Wandering Gypsy

Comments

Popular Posts